Saturday 6 March 2010

Day 1






Day 1: Sunday 30th February 2010
Distance Travelled: 17 Miles
Money Spent: £27

WOW, if I had to compare today to my biking experiences it would have been the same as cycling down the Alps with a humungous tail wind.
It all started from a tiny bridge in Cricklade, Wiltshire. So tiny in fact we drove over the Thames without even knowing. Rather embarrassingly we had to ask a local the location who indicated it was about 20 meters behind us!
Upon finding the river it was clear that the down pour of rain last night had a dramatic effect on the water level and stream flow. Although, potentially more dangerous it would be considerable easier for me which I liked the sound of.
After a quick farewell, I got in the boat and floated away. For the first 10 miles I spent my time dodging all the fallen trees and branches blocking the river. In numerous places the river has burst its bank and had flooded the surrounding area.
The first town, Lechlade, came and went. By the time I reached the first lock I had been sitting down for some time and was looking forward to getting out and stretching my legs. The lock was beautifully well maintained with all the necessary amenities. I had never used a lock before and was not really planning to as it would be much quicker to simply lift the kayak out of the water and walk it around. However, despite me travelling on the bare minimum it was still heavy. The Kayak itself weights about 21kg, plus my equipment and water.
As I was hauling the kayak the lock keeper came and spoke to me and issued me my first of many warning cards indicating it is not safe for any boats on the water at the current time. Yes, the river was fast but didn’t really require the 10 minute lecture about the dangers of the current. However, I realised that it was just part of his job and listened patiently. Just as I was about to paddle of he ask whether I had a license to be on the river. Of course I didn’t, and I wasn’t even aware I needed one. He told me to meet him at the next lock to purchase it.
I didn’t really see the point in trying to avoid purchasing a license as I knew one of the many other lock keepers would make me buy one. Sure enough the lock keeper was waiting for me and helped me out of the water. Although the permit only cost £7, the next bit of information was priceless. He suggested a campsite attached to a pub that was on the river edge. That ticked every box for me and that was my destination.
Several hours later the pub appeared and I bailed out the kayak. I walked around to the front door and entered the building. It honestly felt as though the music stopped and everybody was checking me out. However, I really didn’t care just wanted to know where I could pitch the tent.
With the tent erected I returned to the bar for that first sip of amber nectar. It tasted good. So did the next and the next and the next and then I cant remember how it tasted. All I do recall is that I did not eat anything that night and passed out in my tent.
View 5 day Thames Kayak in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment