Saturday 6 March 2010

Day 3





Day 3:
Distance Travelled: 26 Miles
Money Spent: £15

I went to bed very early last night and woke up at the crack of dawn. It was another cold night which was confirmed by the instant freezing of my breath on the inside of the tent. I was eager to warm up so I got on the river as quick as possible. It was amazing, the sun was burning away the morning frost with steam rising of the water.
After a few hours the sky was bright blue and I was able to catch some sun rays my face. I stopped and spoke to the lock keeper at Abington Lock. It was his 62nd birthday and we celebrated with several cups of tea. He showed me how to use the locks because I was starting to hurt from portaging my boat around them. It is surprising simple.
I saw a massive contrast today. At times the river passed through major cities to little villages or open fields to forests. Dotted along the rivers edge were the biggest houses I had ever seen. These properties had boat houses that were bigger than most peoples residential places!
Pleased with my efforts I decided to call it for a day and was on the look out for a campsite. I noticed a marina in the distance and pulled up beside the reception. They informed me they are not open for camping at the moment but suggested I camp here anyway and they would not charge me. Result.
Another early night for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment