Saturday 6 March 2010

Day 2





Day 2:
Distance Travelled: 19 Miles
Money Spent: £18

Burrrr…. I thought it was pretty cold last night and this was confirmed when I noticed the water can next to my tent had frozen. Because I was so cold I decided to just get up and start packing. The sun had peeked over the horizon and its rays were heating me up. It took me about 30 mins to pack up and be ready for another days paddling. I realised I had not paid but I was not going to pay much due to the lack of toilet, showers and such like. I posted £5 through the letter box attached to a thank you note. By this time the sky was blue and the river flowing.
I paddle out into the middle and felt in heaven. It was so peaceful, no cars, no people just the sounds of birds tweeting away. I tried to soak up as much of the experience as possible. I really loved the experience of being away from the hustle and bustle of London.
Lunch time was approaching and my stomach was so hungry it was eating itself. As if by magic another riverside pub appeared. A quick bacon sandwich went down a treat.
I had still not seen another boat on the river yet and one of the lock keepers said I was the first person he has seen in 3 months. I received several more warning cards from the keepers but there knowledge on the river was crucial. They were able to advise me we where I could get find an ATM and local convenience store. I stored my boat at Eynsham lock and walked into the local village. As I crossed the old stone bridge I noticed vehicles had to pay. As I got closer, I notice the fee for a car was 5p!
I remember this bridge was for sale about 3 months ago and went for a cool 1.1 million pound. It does, however, come with several acres of ground and a Toll House. All the locals were telling me that they are worried the new owners may increase the toll to 10p!
I returned to the kayak with loads of food and meandered back down the river. It was turning into such a lovely evening I decided to call it a day early as I found a peaceful camping spot on the rivers edge. Once again, I could not see a sole around me just fields and trees.
I quickly put up the tent and sat on the waters edge reading my book and eating chocolate. The sun set and I retired to the tent.

No comments:

Post a Comment